Re: [ARSCLIST] Collector descriptions. The CD collector

Robert Hodge wrote:

> One of the Robert Crumb records is recorded at 78 rpm , on 12
> inch  red vinyl , using a 1.5 mil groove. Stereo, of course.
> It's " Robert Crumb And His Cheap Suit Serenaders". They
> play: " My Girls Pussy" - VERY double entendre , but still in
> good taste with 1920's lyrics,  and "Christopher Columbus" in
> a very hot dance arrangement.
>

> They also recorded a 10 inch disc, several years before, but
> I don't have that one.

I do! It's "River Blues" (side A: String Band with Singing) and "Wisconsin
Wiggles" (side B: String Band with Musical Saw, with (it sez here)

R. Crumb and his Keep-on-Truckin' Orchestra. The label is "Ordinary Record",
with the motto "A High Standard of Standardness". The label also says "KRUPP
/ RECORDING LABORATORY / MILWAUKEE / WISCONSIN", whereas the paper sleeve,
with Crumb artwork in the style of typical early 30s sleeves, says "MADE BY
/ KRUPP COMIC WORKS / P.O. BOX 5699 MILWAUKEE 53211, WIS. / U.S.A."

It's a 10-inch black vinyl 78, with (it appears to be) 1.5-mil grooves and a
33.3 rpm - size label.

It's one of those collectors' items which I was lucky enough to come across
when it was first published. Unfortunately I completely missed "My Girl's
Pussy" when it made its brief appearance, and I hope that a decent copy will
eventually appear in some sort of non-compressed digital format. (An mp3 has
been making the rounds for a few years, but the quality isn't good and it
has a groove skip.)

Aaron Z