Re: [ARSCLIST] Restoration Software

Since everyone seems to have an opinion, I'll donate my $.02US.

I don't restore recordings except to listen to them.  I don't handle
commercial ventures or historic preservation.  I don't care about
labels, and I seldom care about condition.  Although I'm technically
proficient, I'm an amateur with a private collection of 78s only; 90%
electric, 10% acoustic; >50% would be graded G+ or worse.  I often use
these recordings as source material for performance as a musician.

My need is to make listenable digital recordings with minimal effort and
reasonable cost.  I need to be able to hear and understand spoken and
sung words.  I sometimes need to pull chords from music.

I've used several software products, and have found DC6 best for my
needs.  Usually I just need to get a rough understanding of a
recording's most troublesome features, pick a set of filters, and go.
It has many professional features that I have never used (although I
know some professionals who do use it, primarily for digitally repairing
archival spoken word tapes).

As they say, "YMMV."

--
 Pete Tinker,Ph.D.

 HRL Laboratories, LLC
 Information and System Sciences Laboratory
 Advanced Technology Department
 310 317 5503 voice
 310 317 5695 fax
 3011 Malibu Canyon Road