Re: [ARSCLIST] Restoration Software

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Nolan" <davenolanaudio@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: April 28, 2005 2:11 PM
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Restoration Software

I have to agree that for broadband denoising, the Waves X-Noise really
isn't as great as its $1000+ price tag might suggest.  Invariably when
friends have played me audio denoised with X-Noise that "sounds great" to
them in their studio monitors (or on the home stereo), I could hear all
sorts of flange-y underwater-y artifacts by listening through a basic pair
of Sony 7506 headphones.  Many monitors, even fairly expensive ones in
common use (Genelecs, Mackies, KRKs, etc...) seem to mask a lot of those
artifacts at normal listening volume, but they're there.

The only way I trust whether a denoising job has been truly "transparent"
is by putting on the phones (usually at a higher-than usual volume for a
brief period of time) and making sure the denoise parameters were not so
aggressive as to create those artifacts.

dave nolan
nyc

I've used X-noise for some of my field recordings. I concur that broadband denoising has to be used cautiously. Headphones, as Dave points out, are essential. After identifying a very brief segment of noise (I think Seva recommends 200ms) I let the "saturation" (at least, I think that's what it's called) to 50% or 60%, and the amount to around 5. If the noise sample has been well chosen, these settings should get rid of some of the noise (by no means all) and, equally important, there shouldn't be any artifacts.

Incidentally, there hasn't so far been any mention of Algorithmix
"reNOVAtor" plugin. Sequoia users crow over how good it is. Unfortunately,
it's a bit pricey ($2k+)

Salutations, David L