Re: [ARSCLIST] Restoration Software

On Thu, 28 Apr 2005 10:47:35 EDT, JPPiano@xxxxxxx wrote:

>Hi All
>
>I would still go with Sonic Solutions No-Noise - especially the Type E
>interpolator. It is expensive, but the results are world class (Cedar is
also very
>good)...
>
>In the dept. of outboard boxes, I will begin testing the Weiss DNA-1
>tomorrow. If it is consistent with the other Weiss equipment that I have
heard (and
>own), it will be the best sounding dehisser ever manufactured.....
>
>Joe P.

I would agree that Sonic is incredibly good - declicking and denoising are
at the top of the heap along with Cedar.  A bit of a learning curve to get
the parameters right, but works like a dream once you get going.  Also,
probably the best waveform ever in an editing program (why have other
software companies never come close - even 10 years down the line?).

If one joins the Sonic mailing list (or scans eBay regularly) and can look
patiently for 2-3 months, one can pick up a used system quite cheaply - I
got a Sonic HD keyed for full NoNoise for $3000 including the Lucid A->D/D-
>A converter, PCI card, cables, etc... (originally a $15k-20k package).  A
couple of years ago folks were bailing like crazy on Sonic systems out of
fears the company would go under.  Despite all this, Sonic is still the rig
of choice in many mastering houses to get the audio from the computer to
the master CDr...

There are of course a couple of hitches - one is that Sonic has hit a few
rough patches in its corporate life, and to this day users complain about
the current Sonic HD being less functional than its "Sonic Classic"
predecessor, and development has been slow in places.  Another is that tech
support is quite expensive, but desirable (2k/year or more to get support
and software updates).

One can also buy Sonic Classic systems either on eBay or from Sonic
themselves, with the caveat that they are now off tech support and you are
largely on your own if the Sonic cards fry, which I can tell you from
personal expereince in a small Sonic facility (4 rigs) that they indeed do
fry every so often...

Still, I would highly recommend Sonic, both classic and HD, for folks that
want top quality - and if you look around, you can get that quality for a
great price...

dave nolan
nyc