Re: [ARSCLIST] [MLA-L] Requesting feedback on laser turntables

This is my first post.  Sorry if I break any rules (just let me know).  I'm
a record collector (no 78s though), have a music degree, and I have an
addiction to turntables, cartridges and tonearms.  I have a Thorens
TD124,mk2, a Garrard 301, and a Technics sp-15.  I would recommend any of
these "transcription" decks before the laser turntable because of the noise
issue.  I heard a demonstration disk from Chiba of  ELP.  It has been
developed with the audiophile in mind (or that's how the sales pitch
sounds).  You'd still need an ADC.  You'd fight noise issues that could be
greatly ameliorated by changes in cartridges and stylus tips.  My
recommendation would be two used (they stopped making them) SME 3012
tonearms (a 12" tonearm with detachable headshell) and one of the above name
tables for 78s and a SOTA Star Sapphire turntable for 12" vinyl.  The SOTA
has vacuum hold-down like a cutting lathe and flattens just about all warps.
It also has a magnificent sprung suspension (no feedback or environmental
intrusions).  If you have the flexibility to buy used, you can get all this
stuff and a fist full of stylus tips and cartridge choices for less than the
MSRP of the laser table (about $8K if you go hog wild).  I've been using a
true mono moving coil cartridge that has made playing hammered jazz records
a pleasure (10" GNP, Prestige, Blue Note, etc..).  A true mono cartridge
will ignore noise that is perpendicular to the surface of the record
(theoretically 30dB down in level).  Of course moving coils don't have user
changeable stylus tips.  This ignores the need of archivists who need to
choose grooves and experiment with stylus profiles.  But, it sounds better
than a Stanton.

That being said, if I ever get a chance to get a laser table on the used
market for a really good buy, I'd get it (especially since you can play
broken disks).
Phillip Holmes