Re: [ARSCLIST] [MLA-L] Requesting feedback on laser turntables (a)

On the wear and cleaning issue, you are correct. In the narrow context of my
response I was taking into account that the material at hand is neither
fragile nor unique and is already known. As for the transients, I've not
analyzed them. I got so fed up with what I perceived as the greater number
of clicks and pops from the ELP that unless the material is damaged I
haven't been using it. I've got to take a look at that.

> Thus, a mandatory investment would be a Keith Monks or
> > Loricraft record cleaner. Even they won't always get things clean
> > enough for the ELP and you'll still have annoying transients.
>
> ----- when bought full-price the ELP comes with a record
> cleaner. Certainly before the change in US 'distributors'
> this was a VPI model that did an excellent but terribly noisy job.

True, however paying full retail is far more expensive than obtaining a
discount and buying a cleaner separately.

> > The subjective sound quality of the ELP is excellent. Yet, the
> > conversion to a streaming digital medium will likely negate any
> > advantage. Note that the ELP is fully analog and will still
> require A/D conversion.
>
> ----- as would a mechanical pickup. How can an advantage in
> signal quality be negated by A/D conversion?

It's not the A/D conversion that will negate the quality advantage. The
conversion to a lossy streaming digital medium will render the ELP's
increased fidelity moot. Even at the highest bitrates, a lossy streaming
codec will decimate the signal (does a lossless streaming codec exist?). As
even a modest traditional turntable can provide excellent sonic results I
submit that the difference between a turntable and the ELP will be lost in
that situation.

> > I have not had reason to contact ELP for support. As I
> understand it,
> > any repairs require shipping the unit back to Japan. Should
> ELP fail,
> > the turntable will be a very expensive orphan.
>
> ----- this I consider a great problem, because the ELP is a
> precision instrument that I would not want to be thrown
> about. I know from experience that the big carriers (DHL,
> USP) respect neither "Fragile", nor "this side up".

I am hopeful that the new distributor will have repair facilities here in
the US. I have contacted them but haven't received a response as of yet.