Re: [ARSCLIST] [MLA-L] Requesting feedback on laser turntables

I'm taking the liberty of forwarding this to the ARSC list.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Henry" <shenry+@xxxxxxxx> To: <MLA-L@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 3:04 PM Subject: [MLA-L] Requesting feedback on laser turntables

Hello everybody,

Has anyone out there purchased/considered purchasing/used a "laser
turntable" made by ELP of Japan?  Our library administration is
considering purchasing such a device and has asked the music library for
feedback.  I haven't had much luck finding print reviews, and the
reviews I've found on Websites tend to be rather dodgy and come to some
wildly differing conclusions.

We would be using the laser turntable for preparing streaming audio
course reserves.  The material we would be working with is slightly rare
in that it has not been reissued on CD, but none of the LPs are precious
resources or anything, so wear and tear isn't a major concern.  I
suppose digital technology would streamline the digitization process,
but I'm not sure that justifies the >$10,000 price tag.  There doesn't
seem to be any consensus about sound quality produced by the laser
turntable as compared to a conventional turntable.  I am also especially
concerned about maintenance and repair, since ELP is the only company
that services the turntables, and they are only in Japan.

I would appreciate any comments, and thanks in advance.

Steve

--

Steve Henry Assistant Music Librarian Theodore M. Finney Music Library University of Pittsburgh B30 Music Building Pittsburgh, PA 15260 412-624-4128 shenry@xxxxxxxx

************************************************************************* To leave MLA-L, send the command SIGNOFF MLA-L to LISTSERV@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or send an e-mail message to MLA-L-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx To suspend mail temporarily, send the command SET MLA-L NOMAIL to LISTSERV@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx The MLA homepage is located at http://www.musiclibraryassoc.org/

-- No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG Anti-Virus. Version: 7.0.308 / Virus Database: 266.10.3 - Release Date: 4/25/2005