Re: [ARSCLIST] Silicone contamination

In a message dated 4/1/2005 4:56:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
The tapes are obviously hydrolyzed (sticky shed).
Instead of treating the tapes for hydrolysis by "baking", someone decided to
treat the tapes with silicone.  When they still couldn't run the tapes, they
were sent to us.
**************

I tried exactly this treatment years ago, long before I ever heard of baking.
 I was able to get tapes to run this way, using a considerable amount of
material, but I haven't tried to run or even look at the tapes for years.

The silicone didn't seem to cause problems with either the tape or the deck
(an Ampex PR-10) at the time. 3M made a point of their use of silicone in the
50s and several manufactures sold silicone treatment fluids for tape and heads
then too. The greatest danger would be getting the material on rubber drive
parts, causing slippage.  Of course if the silicone is practically dripping off
of the tape, this will be a problem, especially for the videotape.

It is difficult to remove silicone, but in small amounts it should only be a
potential problem for the capstan pressure roller and this is relatively easy
to clean. Baking may drive the silicone into the coating or out of the pack,
where some could be wiped off, making it less likely to interfere with
playback. If you try it, let us know how it works. I hope to get back to those old
treated tapes myself someday.

Mike Csontos