Re: [ARSCLIST] Fwd: How Long Do You Want Digital Storage Media to Last?

----- Original Message -----
From: <Mwcpc6@xxxxxxx>
> In a message dated 4/1/2005 7:59:55 AM Eastern Standard Time, joba@xxxxxxx
> writes:
> Should optical discs last forever?
> Would you like your digital-storage media to last 20 years, 25 years, 30
> years, 35 years or 40 years?
> ************
> I don't see the point of establishing a "self destruct" time for storage
> media.  Personally, I'd like everything to last forever.
>
> Of course we get buried in our own debris of everything is saved forever.
> There is nothing wrong with making temporary records. One could have a lot
of fun
> using ten cent acetate coated pieces of cardboard or rust coated acetate
> strips to record choice comments at a bachelor party or wedding reception
with the
> intent to throw them away right afterward. However the possibility that
these
> could survive long term storage means that fifty years later they may
become
> some of one's most precious possessions. If it is decided to accept media
with
> built in degradation mechanisms, such things can never happen again.
>
> The goal should be to identify the processes that cause the deterioration
of
> media and reduce them as much as possible, even where economics is a
factor.
> The roll of standards organizations and institutions should be to
establish
> testing and labeling requirements to encourage the production of the best
quality
> materials possible.
Isn't at least part of this problem due to the compromises we have to make
to maximize storage capacity as well as extraneous non-recorded noise?
The shellac "78" would appear to have essentially an eternal life under
reasonable storage and handling (don't store them under water or buildings
which are on fire, and don't drop them onto concrete floors...) but it
has a limited capacity and adds a substantial amount of inherent
extraneous content.

Just wondering...is there any tendency for vinyl records to very gradually
revert to their original, non-grooved state...and have there been any
magnetic tape formulations which appear so far to have an unlimited life?