From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Steven C. Barr
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2005 10:22 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] .wav file content information

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Hodge" <rjhodge@xxxxxxx>
> Hello Steve !
> Waxing nostalgically...
> I probably owned one model  of Garrard and Collaro record changer ever

> built, and never found one off speed if properly maintained. Some of
> them had variable speed as well.- I forget the percentage of shift.
> Regular checks with a neon lamp and known accurate strobe disc easily
> confirmed this.
> I know this is off topic, but I felt the need.
Well, Dual turntables, about the easiest 78-capable turntables to find,
had a +/- 5% speed control. In my LP days, I often wondered why it was
there...in my 78 daysm I wonder if it's adequate! As a harmonica player,
I often tried to play along with 78's, and found them in keys like "G
and a quarter!" Mr. Lennick can discourse extensively on "78's" that
weren't recorded at exactly that speed...