Re: [ARSCLIST] A fundamental Flaw: Was Sampling Theory (was Fred Layn's post on the Studer list re: Quantegy)

On 21/01/05, Karl Miller wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Jan 2005, Don Cox wrote:
>
>> I think compression is a bad solution.
>
> I agree, however, with the dynamic range of an orchestra being over
> 100db, would not one need to be willing to listen at that level to get
> a fully balanced sound?...

The level would depend on where you are in the hall, and on whether the
trombones are pointing straight at you.

Yes, I think a player to reproduce orchestral music has to be able to
produce undistorted sound at the same levels as heard in a concert hall.
Likewise for a solo piano.

As the listening room is generally much smaller, the speakers are much
nearer to the listener than a real orchestra, so they don't require as
much actual power.

> I am reminded of this as per a discussion I
> had with John Eargle, assuming I understood what he was saying, who
> suggested 80db max for any commerical recording.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx