Re: [ARSCLIST] Compression (was Re: [ARSCLIST] A fundamental Flaw ...)

In a message dated 1/21/2005 12:21:48 PM Eastern Standard Time,
pattac@xxxxxxxx writes:
I am all in favour of compression when the background noise is high, as in a
car, where we easily have 70 dB. The radio stations called "Classic FM" do
this at source, and this I do not complain about.

In the past, compression or gain riding was necessary because of the
limitations of the transmission medium.  However now the limitation is in the
listening environment.  Just as in the '30s some high-end receivers included gain
expanders, perhaps now it is time for adjustable limiters and compressors to be
included in the receiving and playback equipment.

Mike Csontos