Re: [ARSCLIST] Conference Recording

Greg,

A good digital solution for you might be this digital recorder:

http://www.d-mpro.com/users/folder.asp?FolderID=3507

I recently did a good deal of research on this type of thing for an oral
history project and this was the item I recommended for purchase.

Matt
--
Matt Bailey
Audiovisual Archivist

Richard B. Russell Library for Political Research and Studies
University of Georgia Libraries
Athens, GA 30602-1641
(706)542-5788
http://www.libs.uga.edu/russell/

Greg Yates wrote:

I work in what is somewhat of a niche "industry", recording meetings of
the Tennessee General Assembly. At the present time, we are using Lanier
Advocate V dual-deck conference recorders on audiocassette tape. The
Quantegy situation has got me concerned about the future of
audiocassettes, on top of the fact that Sony is no longer producing a
reformatter/duplicator to take the half speed tapes we produce and copy
them to full speed for our patrons. My question is, what is happening in
this type of industry, not only for the short-term recording and usage
of the materials, but for the long-term archiving as well? Sony was
manufacturing a mini-disc based dual-deck conference recorder, but it is
my understanding that they are no longer producing it due to lack of
demand. Just for interest, we currently have approx. 35000 master
cassettes in our holdings. Any thoughts/ideas are appreciated.

Greg Yates
Coordinator of Legislative Recording
Tennessee State Library & Archives
403 Seventh Avenue North