Re: [ARSCLIST] The state of cassette tape

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Ross" <johnross@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> I think Andy's point is that cassettes are likely to follow open-reel tape
> within the next few years, and so those of us who support low-budget and
> technically unsophisticated sound collectors will have to find something
> replace them.
>
> I don't think minidisc will be the answer, because the inexpensive
> recorders do not include a digital output.
>
> My own guess is that the new standard will be some kind of solid-state
> digital storage, like the media used in today's digital cameras. Maybe
even
> the same media, such as the Compact Flash cards used in the Marantz and
> Denon portables. Either the cost of media will come down to a point where
> it's practical to use them for permanent storage, or it will be routine
> practice to transfer recordings into a computer's hard drive, a CD-ROM or
> DVD.
Another possibility would be some sort of appliance into which one could
plug a hard drive and record content or retrieve content of selected
types. Since the need for actual program operations would be minimal,
all sorts of obsolete CPU's could be used as "brains." I just saw an
ad today that offered 160GB HD's for Cdn$99.95...that's about
$00.00000000025/byte...