Re: [ARSCLIST] From ProTools to Vinyl? was [ARSCLIST] Fred Layn's post on the...

In a message dated 1/12/2005 1:12:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
stevena@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I think the best experience in every case (and I might argue, the
"truest" and "warmest") comes by recreating the original listening
context with archival reproducers. A mono 45 spun on a cheap player,
heard through a two-watt amp driving a four-inch speaker. I wish I had
room for all the systems that would do justice to what's in the archive.
***************

And how about reproducing the experience of watching the reels turn while
listening to a 50 year old tape of a 90 year old woman describing what it was
like to see her first telephone or automobile. Or running two reels of 1/2" video
tape of continuous coverage of the first moon landing on the same machine
that recorded it.  Or piecing together from several instantaneous discs the first
worldwide radio transmission as captured in New York from London on the way
to the transmitter in Schenectady.

Perhaps people who work with this sort of material every day don't fully
appreciate it, but to me there is something magical about having the "original"
item that can't be captured in a .wav or .mp3 file.

Mike Csontos