Re: [ARSCLIST] Cataloging 10,500 LPs--private collection for donation

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph E Bartl" <joba@xxxxxxx>
> I'm trying to help someone decide how to catalog a 10,500 disc LP
> collection (mostly classical) in order to
> 1. Have a clear idea of the content of the collection
> 2. To have catalog records that could easily be imported into or
> transformed into a MARC catalog (for purposes of donating portions of
> the collection to various institutions that probably have MARC
> catalogs).
>
> I have searched the Web and come up with a plethora of cataoging
> software--but haven't the time it would take to look at it all and sort
> out what would be most useful.  I would like to provide my friend with a
> list of options: from very complete records, to barebones records that
> serve ID purposes.   Any helpful suggestions will be gratefully
> received.

1) The easiest way to catalogue this collection would be to use a
commercial database program, preferably with the aid of someone
who has some expertise in database creation in that application.
That would allow you to create a cataloguing application built to
meet your specific needs, as opposed to someone else's! However,
in your case the database would have to be readable by MARC, and
that is an area where my expertise is minimal.

2) Considering the large quantity of phonorecords (talking about
databases of phonorecords which contain data records is inevitably
confusing!) with which you are dealing, I would have an initial
catalog built which would track:

Label
Country
Catalog Number
Remarks

In many cases, additional data could be taken from discographies
(print or preferably on-line) to provide more complete data
records. I am currently doing this with 2,000+ 78's I bought.
At the very least, this will let you identify duplicates in
the collection, or between the collection and extant holdings.

I can provide more information on databases vs, phonorecords
on request.