Re: [ARSCLIST] Cataloging 10,500 LPs--private collection for donation

On Mon, 20 Dec 2004, Joseph E Bartl wrote:

> I'm trying to help someone decide how to catalog a 10,500 disc LP
> collection (mostly classical) in order to
> 1. Have a clear idea of the content of the collection
> 2. To have catalog records that could easily be imported into or
> transformed into a MARC catalog (for purposes of donating portions of
> the collection to various institutions that probably have MARC
> catalogs).

To answer your question...starting with 2.
With 10,000 lps, I would guess that MARC records exist for about 99% of
them. One usually does a manufacturer search first to see if there is
copy available. A hit does not always mean a correct hit...for example,
sometimes a cassette issue will have the same manufacturer number as an
LP. The cataloger will want to have the item in hand when comparing the
MARC record to the item...for example, one often finds errors like a
stereo number, yet the disc is mono, etc.

In most instances, if a library chooses to catalog a collection and not
rely on a finding aid prepared by a donor, it will start the cataloging
procedure from scratch. Inventory lists, prepared by donors make the
librarian's job SO much easier, however, this is primarily true if an
appraisal is part of the donation process.

If there is a consumer version of MARC, I am not aware of it. Further, if
an original entry is required, it must be done by a fully trained
professional cataloger...if it is classical music, language background and
a degree in music is essential as the formulation of uniform title, etc.
can be a highly encumbered process.

I should add the most recent incarnation of OCLC MARC
preparation...Connexion, is about as user friendly as DOS...even if
Connexion is a vast improvement...it still seems like the middle ages to
me. I find it a bit like..."why do computer technicians like windows? It
gives them job security." Same thing with Connexion and catalogers.

Question 1. I guess I would need to know what the individual would like to
know about their collection and how they might want to use the
information.

For my personal collection, repertoire was the "thing." So, I have a
simple system which lists the composers alphabetically and then the works,
alphabetically by title. If I have multiple recordings of a work, I then
make a performer note to differentiate. I then provide the manufacturer
number or, in the case of my broadcast recordings, the tape or CD number...
all listed by accession number.

A simple file maker catalog will let you sort easily by any field.

Copy cataloging...looking up a MARC record, finding a hit, and then
updating, can take anywhere from 2 minutes to 45 minutes, depending on the
corrections, verification of performers, etc. Original cataloging of
something like a set of CDs of opera arias (language problems) done by
various artists, orchestras, conductors...well one can spend a day on
something like that.

Karl