Re: [ARSCLIST] New CD Report NIST

At 10:41 AM 12/14/2004 -0600, Rick Taylor wrote:
Sorry - I wasn't paying attention.  This is the one I meant to grab:
"AES38-2000 AES standard for audio preservation and restoration -- Life
expectancy of information stored in recordable compact disc systems -- Method
for estimating, based on effects of temperature and relative humidity."

Same page (which includes another study from 1997 re:  CD-ROMS):
http://www.aes.org/standards/b_pub/aes-standards-in-print.cfm

Again, thank you. Scanning this one is more difficult, but leads to the following: 1. No conclusions are drawn 2. The properties of the tested discs are not given 3. For those discs, accelerated life tests as defined here seem appropriate

It is a substantial stretch - though again there is no other guideline - to
assume that 3. above applies to a specific modern medium. I interpret the
document as defining a test procedure by which a candidate medium can be
measured. Are there studies reporting results using the procedure/standard?
Or am I misreading the document and its purpose?

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/