From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx]On Behalf Of andy kolovos
Sent: Wednesday, December 08, 2004 3:29 PM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ARSCLIST] CD-DA track breaks

Folks,

We're about to embark on our first CD-DA release of a radio documentary
we've produced.  In the past we've always released such things on cassette.

The radio program is just under an hour long.  To me this makes it
necessary to insert some sort of breaks into the program to facilitate
access to different parts of it, and so that if someone is listening and
gets interrupted, he or she won't have to start from the beginning when she
returns to it.

When I want to insert track breaks into CD-DA versions of interviews, I
just break the piece up into 5 minute long tracks, remove the silences that
Nero automatically places between the tracks, and then burn the disc.

In this case (being a commercial release and all) such an approach seems
somewhat--I don't know--inelegant.  Is there any other way this can be
done? Is there a way to break up the audio so that the program time will
not be reset at every break? How the heck do books-on-CD pull this stuff
off?

Thanks,

andy
*********************************