[ARSCLIST] C&C required (was Re: [ARSCLIST] Egmont Records info needed)

At 09:36 AM 12/8/2004 -0500, Steven Smolian wrote:
As you may know, there were recording operations all over Europe that
recorded classical works, operas and operatic excerpts, shows and pop songs
and sold copies of the tapes they made to any company anywhere that wanted
them.  The buyer issued them on cheap labels, making up his own name for the
performers.  Years ago, a friend and I spent an evening with a U.S. low-end
record co executive making up performer and performing group names which
were amusing nonsense and sounded authentic to those with no foreign lanuage
skills.

I am shocked - shocked!! - to learn of such practices. And to think that a member of this august group had ever participated in such chicanery is even more startling. Perhaps we are not so august in December, but still, there are limits!!

Now, what will I do with my tickets to the Patagonia Festival, where Period
found such intriguing artists? If I have not misread you, there is even the
implication that not every entry in the Shaman, Collins and Goodwin
discographies of Eddie Smith are imperfect.

************
For the elucidation of those not in some of the technical groups to which I
subscribe: C&C stands for 'Cat and Coffee'. It is a warning that the post
is intended to be humorous and that therefore one is advised to put the cat
off one's lap and to put the coffee out of harm's way.

On a more serious note, there are gems among those recordings and one
wishes that more information - preferably, more accurate information - were
available about them. Some are pirates of the worst sort, cheap copies of
recordings then in commercial distribution, but others preserve material
otherwise not then in circulation.

Mike -- mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/