Re: [ARSCLIST] Egmont Records info needed

As you may know, there were recording operations all over Europe that
recorded classical works, operas and operatic excerpts, shows and pop songs
and sold copies of the tapes they made to any company anywhere that wanted
them.  The buyer issued them on cheap labels, making up his own name for the
performers.  Years ago, a friend and I spent an evening with a U.S. low-end
record co executive making up performer and performing group names which
were amusing nonsense and sounded authentic to those with no foreign lanuage
skills.  This was in the mid 1960s.  The vocal material was available with
the orchestral background only.  A vocalist would pay a company to record a
recital, using headphones to take the accompaniment feed.  Early Karaoke.

Eddie Smith (EJS) was involved in some of these ventures.  I recall a
complete Mikado issued here with Martyn Green and, sung in German, with
someone else, issued there.  I think some U.S. Allegro vocal recitals were
made this way.

Somwhere I have a catalog from one of these companies whose name I can't
recall.  It's in my catalog files (about 12 4 drawer files) and can dig it
out if someone else on this list can supply likely company names- real ones.

Steve Smolian