Re: [ARSCLIST] Gold CDs

At 08:28 AM 9/30/2004 +0000, Don Cox wrote:

> By creating an additional file on the disc, perhaps DISC_ID.TXT or
> [uniqueID].TXT, you can put the full catalogue card onto the disc
> itself. Then if the ID is not readable on the hub, it's still on the
> disc, easily located and readily usable to recreate the catalogue
> entry. By using simple TXT, you ensure readability on any computer; of
> course, you can also add a formatted file with that or other
> information.

Text files are good, but a separate file can get detached from the main
file. For example, if they pass through a system that truncates file
names down tom 8+3.

Bah, humbug.

As I said in the paragraph before the citation, the idea is to identify the
disc. If you wish to apply a unique code to each file, then you will need a
scheme for generating it automatically whenever it is altered.

It may be a minor point, but I've not seen anyone label the files on a disc
today. It may not be a minor point that the CRC of each file on a disc may
be entered in the database of that disc - its index file. FInally, if there
are two or more correlated files on a disc - for example, the two sides of
a 78 issue - then labelling files is all but worthless. One must then label
correlated pairs, which can of course be accomplished by convention.

I suggest that marking each file on a disc is akin to a copyright notice
and ISBN on each page of a book. It is excessive and objectionable.

> For my own purposes, I use HTML to coordinate the files on the disc
> and have a standard file in the root, WELCOME.HTM, which indexes the
> other HTML files, which in turn provide access to the audio or other
> content. By using strict ISO 9660 filesystem, the resulting disc is
> readable on any current platform.

Good idea. One could also use an XML format.

One could use any format readable on all platforms of interest. I suggest that among digital formats, TXT is readable on the broadest range of platforms; HTML on somewhat fewer; and others may be chosen at will. Those who use DOC for convenience are ill-advised since that is many formats, only a few of which are readable on some platforms. XML is largely standardized, but not readily read or written without substantial tools. You pays your money and you makes your choice - they're all compromises if for no other reason than character sets.

One advantage of the WWW languages is that the files on the disc are
correlated in the index file - and that that correlation can be seen by the
user with a minimum of effort. Even given the explosion of data in this
format, one may still be able to put a single, two-sided 78 onto a CD-ROM
with images of the label and pressing information; recording data such as
dates, engineers, venues; publication information; and all the other
correlates of the published disc itself.

There may even be room for the audio.

Mike -- mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/