Re: [ARSCLIST] Gold CDs

On 29/09/04, Mike Richter wrote:

> Since you are concerned with identifying the (data) disc, embedding
> information in the WAV header does nothing - it only identifies the
> file and thereby introduces a chance of error. (It can also confuse
> some programs which might be used to make CD-DA from the WAV.)

It shouldn't do, unless the program is very badly written. The IFF
format (of which WAV and AIFF are variants) uses chunks. If there is a
chunk present which a parser doesn't recognise, it should skip over it.

For instance, you could include an image chunk (scan of a label) in a
WAV file, and it should be ignored by a normal audio-only player
program.

> By creating an additional file on the disc, perhaps DISC_ID.TXT or
> [uniqueID].TXT, you can put the full catalogue card onto the disc
> itself. Then if the ID is not readable on the hub, it's still on the
> disc, easily located and readily usable to recreate the catalogue
> entry. By using simple TXT, you ensure readability on any computer; of
> course, you can also add a formatted file with that or other
> information.

Text files are good, but a separate file can get detached from the main
file. For example, if they pass through a system that truncates file
names down tom 8+3.

> For my own purposes, I use HTML to coordinate the files on the disc
> and have a standard file in the root, WELCOME.HTM, which indexes the
> other HTML files, which in turn provide access to the audio or other
> content. By using strict ISO 9660 filesystem, the resulting disc is
> readable on any current platform.

Good idea. One could also use an XML format.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx