Re: [ARSCLIST] Is recording to Reel-to-reel still the preferred preservation method?

on 9/29/04 8:06 PM, David Lewiston at david.lewiston@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Upon the advice of a highly-regarded "golden ear." In his opinion, if the
> very best A/D converters are used, 176.4kHz and 192kHz are audibly superior
> to the lower sampling rates. I don't have access to a broad enough selection
> of equipment to make my own judgements, so I rely on him.

Actually there is much debate about this in the recording industry. Many
believe that it is simply not possible to build a converter that is accurate
at 4x sample rates. It is very difficult, if not impossible to build a
converter that takes accurate 24-bit samples that fast. For that reason most
high fs converters (in fact most all converters, high or standard rate) use
a 1 bit design and then decimate to the desired sample rate/bit depth.

Have you considered using native DSD?

--
Konrad Strauss
Recording * Editing * Mastering * Production