Re: [ARSCLIST] Is recording to Reel-to-reel still the preferred preservation method?

I absolutely agree with your friend, David. There is a great audible
difference once you move into the 176.4/192 realm with good equipment...
even with the cheaper equipment... but it is my opinion that there is a
greater audible difference between 16 and 24 bit than 44.1/176.4 or
48/192... Especially if you deal with very dynamic source material...
I have listened to many converters myself and find the most transparent to
be the Genex and dCS converters. If the choice is artistic, anything goes,
if the choice is transparency to archives with 1 or 2 track material, I lean
towards the dCS stuff. Pacific Microsonics is absolutely of the highest
quality (and price), and sounds great! I still find it to have a little
color... I also use the Lynx L22 and the Lynx AES16s for my interfaces.

Sincerely,

Claus.

Claus Trelby
Managing Engineer/Partner