Re: [ARSCLIST] Fw: [ARSCLIST] Gold CDs

-----Original Message-----
From: Association for Recorded Sound Discussion List
[mailto:ARSCLIST@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Mike Richter
Sent: Saturday, 25 September 2004 8:18 AM
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ARSCLIST] Fw: [ARSCLIST] Gold CDs

At 02:41 PM 9/24/2004 -0400, Peter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>NIST just put a good document on storage and handling and the AES/ISO
Joint
>Technical Commission is currently working on a Optical Disc storage and
>handling document.
>
>As far as "archival" is concerned, on the Joint Commission, we've been
>trying to do something about putting a reasonable definition in the
"Terms
>and Definitions" section of a number of AES, ANSI and ISO standards
>documents for years.  Unfortunately, the response we've gotten has not
been
>promising.  Trying to define "archival" at this point impacts too many
>previously published documents and , frankly, has too many political
>ramifications in the industry for a "formal" definition to pass the
>standards voting process any time in the near future.  This is why we
have
>had to make do with phrases such as "medium-term life expectancy" and
>"extended-term life expectancy".  You might notice that these phrases
don't
>seem to have been picked up in advertising literature.  Oh well, a
consensus
>on what archival means when referring to media would be really nice and
I'm
>certainly open to any suggestions on how we all could get such a
definition
>into a published standard.  Any ideas?

http://www.itl.nist.gov/div895/carefordisc/disc_care/index.htm
is the second link on my page of URLs, following one to OSTIA. I assume
that that is the document to which you refer.

A practical term, not already preempted, should be available for
"archival". Perhaps just "extended-life". True definition in terms of
testing is probably not achievable; perhaps one could specify it in
terms
of required components. For example, at least two of gold alloy
reflector,
durable overcoating, phthalocyanine dye. ("Durable" could be defined in
terms of test; alloy in terms of gold content.)

Mike
--
mrichter@xxxxxxx
http://www.mrichter.com/