Re: [ARSCLIST] Stand Alone CDR Burners?

> I am writing  to ask for a recommendation on a
> professional stand-alone CDR burner to use to
> digitalize several old reel-to-reel recordings and
> analog cassette.

I just love my Alesis Masterlink. It has it's own internal hard drive and
you can record to the hard drive at up to 24/96 resolution, then edit the
material (if you desire) and burn regular CDRs as well as high-res AIFF
files. A couple of reasons that I love this unit are that if you have a
problem while recording, you can start over without wasting a CDR, and you
have the ability to split tracks not only while recording, but also after
the fact. They can be had new for as little as $800, and there are currently
10 of them listed on ebay.
    Before I had the Masterlink, I used an HHB CDR800, which I was very
happy with, but that model has been discontinued. I don't know how the
current HHB models compare.
    One thing to be aware of when considering a standalone CD burner is that
"consumer" models will only use "audio only" CDRs, not data-grade discs.
Hope this helps,
-Matt Sohn