Re: [ARSCLIST] Scanners for album covers?

The only scanner I've found that handles large scans is the Epson
Expression 10000XL (12.2" width), and uses a CCD sensor for good
color accuracy.

When scanning, you might consider a GretagMacbeth Digital
ColorChecker SG chart - this will allow you to exactly match the
scan to the actual record jacket/sleeve in Photoshop.  From there,
you can enhance the colors as needed to account for fade.

The GretagMacbeth chart is also handy for setting up ICC profiles
on output devices (printers or print services) so that if you
print the image, the printed colors will match what you were
expecting.

This, of course, assumes you are using a color calibrated monitor.

Color management is actually quite sophisticated work if you want
to do it correctly.  There are entire books written on color
management.  At a minimum, I would recommend including the
GretagMacbeth chart in your scans, and this will allow you or
someone with color management expertise to make the needed image
manipulations later.

Eric Jacobs
The Audio Archive