[ARSCLIST] Dealing with semi-brittle tape cupping/dropouts

Hi all, I hope someone has a bit of advice for me. I’ve tried scouring google but to no good effect. I have a ReVox G36 open-reel deck that I’m using for 2 and 4 track playback and am attempting to dump a very old 2 track recording to HDD. My problem is that the tape appears to have grown somewhat brittle and is ‘cupping’ so to speak along the length of the tape. The G36 is a great sounding tubed deck but it’s transport isn’t a paradigm of precision. Thus one ends up with incessant dropouts that bounce from channel to channel. Any way to combat this?? The deck exhibits no such behavior with any other tape but then again I have no other tapes that are brittle as this one is.