Re: [ARSCLIST] ? about Burning CDs for archives

On 18/08/04, Katie McCormick wrote:
> I wonder if anyone could clarify the advantages and disadvantages of
> burning CDs at 1x vs., say, at 4x or 8x. Obviously, there are time
> advantages to burning CDs at an accelerated rate but does one risk
> degrading the quaility of the file/material that is burned? I am
> converting a large collection of DATs to CDs for patron listening and
> for "preservation" copies and am concerned about saving time vs.
> sacrificing quality.

It's very hard to get facts on this as the CD blanks on the market are
constantly changing, so by the time you read a test the type tested has
gone.

My impression is that there is a best speed for each combination of CD
type and writer, and that the best speed for audio may not be the same
as for data. Some people claim to hear audible differences in sound
quality (presumably due to error correction) on CDs recorded at various
speeds. If you have access to a good quality sound system, you could run
some tests on the particular batch of CDs you are using, to see if you
hear a difference.

I burn at 4x but with no certainty that that is the best.

I have seen reports that black CDs (ie made of black plastic) give
better results and may have a longer life. I haven't been able to buy
any of those yet, and again they no doubt vary.

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx