Re: [ARSCLIST] Archaeological 78 Fragments

----- Original Message -----
From: "john loy" <jloy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> I agree you should probably save the pieces until more reliable technology
> comes about which may not be long. I disagree that the material is
> "invisible". There are technologies that are  new therefore expensive that
> actually take an optical digital "picture" of the groove walls and sample
> them and convert them to a digital form. No needles no aligning the
> grooves. Right now the technology seems only to work  on complete discs
> even though I haven't worked with one on a daily basis. We may be getting
> one here at the University of North Carolina, but I'm sure the
capabilities
> cant compare to  what could be done in a few years. We'll have to get the
> machine and see once we dive into it. Remember new technology comes out
all
> the time that you don't hear about so something could be out there now. Of
> course once you get what you can off that chip the best information you
can
> hope to get from a quarter size piece is genre'. That may be easy to
> determine yourself or with the help of a musicologist or other music
> professional. I wish your friend luck.
What would be necessary would be a database containing fairly detailed
scans (detailed enough to identify groove paths) of all extant 78's...and
a VERY high-speed computer which would try to find an image file which
contained a section which matched the shard image!

This might be possible someday...but I suspect with today's technology,
as advanced as it might seem, it would involve starting the program
after leaving instructions on how to locate the heirs and descendants
of the party on the quest...