Re: [ARSCLIST] ? about Burning CDs for archives

At 12:05 PM 8/18/2004 -0400, Katie McCormick wrote:
I wonder if anyone could clarify the advantages and disadvantages of
burning CDs at 1x vs., say, at 4x or 8x. Obviously, there are time
advantages to burning CDs at an accelerated rate but does one risk
degrading the quaility of the file/material that is burned?
I am converting a large collection of DATs to CDs for patron listening and
for "preservation" copies and am concerned about saving time vs.
sacrificing quality.

There is an optimum speed for any burner writing any medium. Due to jitter and vibration, very high speeds may be written well in one sense but are seldom optimal overall. Similarly, most modern media are well off their optima at very low speeds, say 4x and below. An early step in using any medium is to calibrate it with your intended writer to determine the optimum and its breadth. For my (non-archival) purposes, I use general purpose media from a quality manufacturer (usually, Mitsui). I have determined the quality of write for my purposes with CD/DVD Inspector (or Diagnostic) and with CDSpeed. Writing with a Plextor 1210s. there are no errors - C1 or C2, recoverable or unrecoverable - when writing at 8x or 12x. There is a low rate of recoverable error at 4x, so I write those discs at 8x or 12x. I also have a duplicator with one each Pioneer A103 and A107 drive. The same media written at about 24x have an acceptably low rate of recoverable error for my limited need for duplicate discs.

To say the least, your mileage may vary.

Mike -- mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/