Re: [ARSCLIST] Old recording, "Speak-a-phone," fiber needles

At 12:02 PM 8/17/2004 -0400, Connie Jones wrote:
Hello. A woman called to ask me a question that I hope you can answer. She
has a recording that her father recorded in the 1920's on what appears to
be an aluminum record, about the size of a 33&1/3 record. The record says
it is a "speak-a-phone" record and that it should not be played with a
metal needle and should be played with a speak-a-phone needle or a fiber
needle. She is interested in finding out what is on the recording. She is
located in northeast Ohio. Any ideas where she could go to hear the record
or get a copy of it?

You can either email me and I will forward them to her or email her
directly at wheel6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have not seen fibre needles for quite some time, but suitable plastic ones are available and recommended. A steel needle would destroy the recording - probably in a single play. Those directions applied to the players of the recording's day, not to modern systems with low tracking force.

Of course, the way to reproduce it today is with a modern cartridge using
the appropriate stylus and low tracking force. Others will advise on that.
If someone in her area has appropriate equipment, a rough copy can be made
without damage. For a quality transfer, expertise is needed.

If you should try to play it for her on a vintage machine, do *not* use a
cactus needle or, if of a similar material, a fibre needle. They leave
residue which over time becames a permanent part of the recording. I used
to have a yucca by my front porch and would demonstrate the pleasing (if
quiet) sonics and the residue of its needles for friends, but my Grafonola
K-2 deserves better. <G>

Mike -- mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/