Re: [ARSCLIST] Old recording, "Speak-a-phone," fiber needles

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mike Richter" <mrichter@xxxxxxx>
> I have not seen fibre needles for quite some time, but suitable plastic
> ones are available and recommended. A steel needle would destroy the
> recording - probably in a single play. Those directions applied to the
> players of the recording's day, not to modern systems with low tracking
force.

> Of course, the way to reproduce it today is with a modern cartridge using
> the appropriate stylus and low tracking force. Others will advise on that.
> If someone in her area has appropriate equipment, a rough copy can be made
> without damage. For a quality transfer, expertise is needed.
>
> If you should try to play it for her on a vintage machine, do *not* use a
> cactus needle or, if of a similar material, a fibre needle. They leave
> residue which over time becames a permanent part of the recording. I used
> to have a yucca by my front porch and would demonstrate the pleasing (if
> quiet) sonics and the residue of its needles for friends, but my Grafonola
> K-2 deserves better. <G>
Also, note that Speak-O-Phone discs have unusual groove dimensions...both
width (wider than normal) and depth (less than normal). I have a shellac
disc, apparently pressed by Grey Gull using a Speak-O-Phone original as
a master (matrices have SOP prefixes) that is all but inaudible using
a standard 3-mil needle!