Re: [ARSCLIST] Anti-virus on workstations?

On 30/07/04, Mike Richter wrote:
> At 08:02 AM 7/30/2004 +0000, Don Cox wrote:
>
>> I think the problems you mention are due to the use of an unsuitable
>> or badly designed operating system.
>
> Since the OS is responsible for allocation of real and virtual memory
> and for managing files, the statement is valid - but hardly helpful.
> That is, if the resources are not adequate for the load presented, a
> different OS is less likely to solve the problem than would be adding
> resources or reducing the load.

How about the setting of priorities for various tasks? How about the
task-switching times?

> The effort of writing to a fragmented
> drive creates a problem for the OS which it solves the best way it
> can.

Some OSes will fragment a drive more than others. Some even have a swap
file on the main hard drive. The efficiency of disk filesystems varies
greatly.

> Expressed another way, the OS is one of the resources which affects
> the quality of the captured file. In general, it is more costly and
> more difficult to change than killing infections, using a more
> efficient capture program, defragmenting a drive or even adding RAM.
> Where the implications of the suggested 'corrections' are all
> positive, using a different OS entails both new applications and
> learning a new schema. Neither of those is a plus in my book when I
> have work to do.

I can see that you would rather struggle on with something you know.

I see no excuse for a computer used for audio ever putting breaks or
crackles in a recording. Would you accept that from a tape recorder?

Regards
--
Don Cox
doncox@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx