Re: [ARSCLIST] Anti-virus on workstations?

At 08:02 AM 7/30/2004 +0000, Don Cox wrote:

I think the problems you mention are due to the use of an unsuitable or
badly designed operating system.

Since the OS is responsible for allocation of real and virtual memory and for managing files, the statement is valid - but hardly helpful. That is, if the resources are not adequate for the load presented, a different OS is less likely to solve the problem than would be adding resources or reducing the load. The effort of writing to a fragmented drive creates a problem for the OS which it solves the best way it can.

Expressed another way, the OS is one of the resources which affects the
quality of the captured file. In general, it is more costly and more
difficult to change than killing infections, using a more efficient capture
program, defragmenting a drive or even adding RAM. Where the implications
of the suggested 'corrections' are all positive, using a different OS
entails both new applications and learning a new schema. Neither of those
is a plus in my book when I have work to do.

Mike -- mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/