Re: [ARSCLIST] Abraham Lincoln -- recording star???

this discussion was forwarded to me from

Association of Moving Image Archivists

Hi, everybody!

As usual, non specialized journalists include a lot of "hype" and "hot air" in their articles to attract the attention of readers.

The cylinder Phonograph was invented by Edison in 1877, and the first prototype was built around December 4 of that year. He applied for a patent on December 24.

Abraham Lincoln was very much dead by then, much less would you find recordings "from the early days of slavery".

And we make fun of people who ask for motion picture archival footage of the American Civil War...

These journalists deserve some kind of award.

Jose Llufrio
Technicolor East Coast, New York

Leon Scott is "reputed" to have recorded Lincoln in the White House on his
Phonautograph.

http://history.acusd.edu/gen/recording/scott.html

The earliest such device of which we have any actual knowledge is the one constructed by De Kempelein of Vienna, who, in 1791,

On June 26, 1857, a French typographer, Leon Scott, deposited with the Académie des Sciences a paper describing an invention which he named the "Phonautograph.

http://history.acusd.edu/gen/recording/begun1.html

http://www.phonautograph.com/

Dale
dale@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx