Re: [ARSCLIST] Wire recorders

On Jul 20, 2004, at 9:09 AM, Karl Miller wrote:

A point which reminds me of a question...are there any such programs out there which will provide a continuously increasing or decreasing speed adjustment. It is a problem I have encountered several times. It would seem that one would need to set a beginning and end point, duration, starting pitch and ending pitch. And then, dealing with a tape of a disc cut off center (the original disc did not survive), the problems are increased considering the distance the needle travelled with each revolution...hence, speed of the disc would be a factor, etc.

Any solutions, and/or software recommendations would be most welcome.

Tom Erbe's Soundhack program, available free from http://soundhack.com/
(for Macintosh) has a "varispeed" feature where you can work in terms
of musical intervals or frequency and have the value smoothly change
over the course of the file (I don't know what kind of curve(s) it uses
to do this, but it would be worth trying), so that might cover the
first problem you describe.

Aaron Russell