Re: [ARSCLIST] Wire recorders

In a message dated 7/15/2004 3:36:50 PM Eastern Standard Time, alex.hartov@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
I acknowledge all the recommendations to go with a pro for doing the
transfer.  I am quite sure it's worth the expenditure and would not
quibble about that.  Unfortunately, I do not have a budget for that &
so will table the project for now.

I see this a lot nowadays. I have several mechanically functioning wire recorders and in the past have made transfers without restoring the amplifiers simply connecting the head directly to an amplifier's phono input. People have beeh quite happy with the result. Some of these have been of local interest and, with the permission of the originators, copies have been donated to local museum archives.  In some cases I have retained the original wires so professional restorations could be done if desired.

However, since the Internet has made it possible, I have felt it ethical to inform a person asking, that professional services are available and I provide references, perhaps to some of those on this list.  Now, when I ask, perhaps months later, about the wires (or discs or tapes) I get a response like the one above.

Not that it applies in this case, but if a person has 50+ year old recordings that he has made himself, it is quite unlikely that he is really going to get around to funding professional processing of the work and equally unlikely that the executor of his estate will have any idea of what they are.

Whenever I see the advice that, if it is worth doing; it is worth doing "right" I wonder how much is being lost just because there isn't the funding for proper professional restoration work.  Perhaps it might be worth suggesting that an improvised, amateur transfer be made, if only as a proof or work print, to preserve and evaluate the material, if nothing better is immediately practical.

Mike Csontos