Re: [ARSCLIST] Wire recorders

The use of amateur services is not so much about the
quality of the sound, but whether the entire asset
(the wire) might be lost in an unfortunate "tangle".

I know that no one can guarantee that a wire won't
accidentally be destroyed, but the probability of
success is probably higher (even if marginally so) when
done by a professional.  In this case, I'll define
"professional" as someone who works with wires
daily, or at least with regularity, on mechanically
reliable/well-tuned equipment.

But I wholeheartedly agree that budget issues frequently
get in the way of preserving historically valuable
audio assets, and even more so when it comes to making
them accessible.  This is sadly a truism across the entire
spectrum of historical preservation, not just audio.
And certainly a challenge to everyone in this forum.

Eric Jacobs
The Audio Archive