Re: [ARSCLIST] Mono CD transfer

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, Don Cox wrote:

> I have a CD of a Furtwangler performance of Fidelio which was issued in
> that format some years ago.
>
> I believe Philips objected very strongly as this does not match the Red
> Book specification.
>
> Now that CDs are so cheap and the double jewel cases as thin as singles,
> it isn't worth the trouble.

I was giving some thought to releasing something similar on my label. Over
the years I have read reviewers commenting on the quality of restoration.
I plan to issue a disc of some Koussevitzky New York Phil performances.
The source was a home made recording, with lots of noise. I lined up the
original and the restored, original sans restoration on the left and the
restored on the right. It was interesting to me to flip back and forth
between the two. The disc would be short, a suite of Corelli's music, a La
Mer and a Daphnis Suite, hence I thought of filling it out with the before
and after of the Daphnis. I thought it might give listeners (and
critics...which is not to say that critics don't listen) a chance to get
some sense of the process.

Any thoughts as to whether or not this would be of interest, would be
welcome.

Karl