Re: [ARSCLIST] Mono CD transfer

Is the source CD one you really *know* to be monaural?  Did you make it
yourself?  If we're talking about a commercially-released CD, it's not wise
to assume that the two channels are identical.  A mono tape might have been
played back on a two-track machine, or stereo ambiance could have been added
(sometimes just in spots, as when using echo to cover an audible edit.)  In
these cases, the result of using only one channel or folding down to mono
can't be predicted, and I wouldn't trust that practice for archival
purposes.

Russell