Re: [ARSCLIST] Mono CD transfer

At 10:15 AM 6/25/2004 -0400, Colin Schlachta wrote:
I haven't worked with Sound Forge in a while, but I can remember that when
mono files were made from stereo ones, Sound Forge would sum the two
channels into one.  This resulted in a 3 db gain in the new mono file.  Is
this still the case the current version of Sound Forge?
I'm just mentioning this because sometimes people don't realise that this
can be happenning to their new mono file versions of two channel ones.  You
can do a test by taking a 1 kHz tone and see if it goes up in volume when
you play back the mono copy.

Ripping monaural by summing was a fault in versions of Easy CD Creator 4 and 5 and in Exact Audio Copy until recent versions. For those not familiar with EAC, I strongly recommend investigating it at http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/ Given an imperfect CD, it is the most powerful tool I know for obtaining as clean a transfer as possible. Do not be put off by the 'beta' and 'prebeta' labels; I believe that Andre's standards are too high for him ever to release a 'final' version.

(The price is right, too. <G>)

Mike -- mrichter@xxxxxxx http://www.mrichter.com/