From: Rob Sevier <roughrob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 19:16:58 -0500
To: ARSCLIST@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [ARSCLIST] Chicago Soul & Blues

Researchers and Collectors of Recorded Sound,

Much of what I've seen discussed on this list concerns an earlier period of
time than what I am currently researching, but I've hit a wall so I thought
I would reach out to the extremely knowledgable people that always respond
to queries on this listserv. I've been researching for an article on and
building a discography of a semi-obscure Chicago soul & blues label called
Bandit. I have been hoping to get to an information source that may have
original tapes so I could extract catalog numbers and possibly unknown
recordings. Unfortunately, the man who ran the label, the widely respected
Arrow Brown, has been dead for many years, and so are, apparently, many of
the other people involved in running the label. I've contacted cousins and
nieces and approached many individuals who were around at the time and
interested in the music at the time, and so far these sources have been
fruitless.
My question is: does anybody know of any archives or collections of Chicago
and/or Illinois soul and blues recordings that are unregistered or
unofficial enough that they don't have listings in the phone book or
internet? Does anyone know of experts on the subject that I may have tapped?
I have already contacted the eminent Robert Pruter who wrote the book
Chicago Soul, but he didn't have the extent of information that I needed.
Thank you very much for any input.

Rob Sevier