Re: [ARSCLIST] baking tapes

By the way, your baking should be in the 125 degree to 135 degree
Farenheit range -- going higher will deleteriously affect the magnetized
particles. Also, try sustaining the baking over a long period, usually
longer than 10 hours is recommended.

I have found that anything over 125 causes curling of most polyester tapes. I run the baking at 120 degrees fahrenheit for 6 hours with constant air circulation, making sure to turn the reel over every 2 hours. I let it cool [out of the oven] between 30 and 60 minutes before playing, and I have found the tapes will often be playable up to 45 days later.

Diamond Productions
Specializing in analog tape preservation / restoration in the digital domain.
Dave Bradley   President