Re: [ARSCLIST] Net music piracy 'does not harm record sales'

At 12:50 AM 4/9/2004 -0400, Steven C. Barr wrote:

As I understand it, GEMM is a database covering CD's...something like the
Abrams
files are to 78's. Thus, if you have your collection of sounds (either as
recordings
or as computer files) catalogued in digital form, you could then add the
data to
an ultimate collection of data on every digital sound recording that has
ever existed (#3).

There are at least two versions of the database you describe, but GEMM is Global Electronic Music Marketplace -- similar to alibris.com and abebooks.com for books. It's a clearing house for small dealers...and a wonderful place to find things. I've been using it for at least six years.

cddb is one of the CD cataloging sites, I believe.

Cheers,

Richard