Re: [ARSCLIST] Net music piracy 'does not harm record sales'

In a message dated 4/7/2004 9:38:24 PM Eastern Standard Time, seubert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
GEMM says they have 19 million
CDs and LPs, but the number of unique titles is much lower. I love GEMM
when I want to buy an old John Fahey LP, but it is useless as a research
tool.

We were talking about the future of music distribution and the comparison of online sharing with the sharing of copyrighted material by libraries.

I only discovered GEMM a few days ago.  I expect it will grow considerably quite rapidly as others find out about it.  If you have your record collection cataloged, why not list there anything you no longer need, with pricing that would make it worthwhile to pick and pack it if anyone else wanted it.  If tens of millions of people (out of the 7000 million there are) did that, it would end up quite a substantial database.

Then imagine that instead of shipping the artifact, a copy could be sent, legally, through some rearrangement of the copyright law in which the agent like GEMM handled the royalties as well as the transaction.  Then every computer would be part of a worldwide library of sorts.

Napster almost did that except for leaving out the producers. Someone mentioned the possible need for libraries to charge for their services in the light of the increasing difficulty in obtaining funding.  Then libraries might evolve into part of a service like that described above, or be replaced by same.

Mike Csontos