[ARSCLIST] Sample of one tape baking test--Good news

I received two 1988 Magnetic Reference Laboratories 1/4-inch test tapes in a
parts deal from New Zealand.

Both were made in 1988 on Ampex 406 tape. Both were suffering from the dreaded
sticky shed.

I baked both for about three hours approx on 4/1 but didn't send them back to
MRL until 4/5 and they arrived yesterday and were tested today.

The IEC 15 in/s one wouldn't play due to continued sticky-shed problems (I'm
getting it back for more baking).

The NAB 15 in/s one played fine and according to Chuck at MRL that its levels
appeared to be as accurate as when it left the factory. He was actually rather
impressed at how good the graph looked.

While obviously a sample of one can't prove that baking is good, it is my
assertion that this test increases the credibility of what, to many of us, has
appeared to be a transparent process over a long period of time.

Use-based damage to the test tape would typically be in the same direction as
the alleged baking damage (the loss of short-wavelength/high-frequency
material), therefore, there is almost zero possibility that the two cancelled.

Further testing would be useful, but I think this is as controlled a test as we
are likely to see today, although I could see recording and playing on sticky
tape, but that is less of a true test than this, because how do you record on
sticky tape before baking?

I would like to thank Jay McKnight and Chuck of Magnetic Reference Lab for their
support of this testing, and also the 16-year custodian of the test tape who
apparently kept it in good condition.

Cheers,

Richard
--