Re: [ARSCLIST] Wax Cylinder Damage

I read of an experiment some years ago in The New Amberola Graphic where
a someone tried a perscription strength anti-fungal cream intended for
athelets foot on a cylinder with a mold or fungus.  He reported that
after a wait of a day or two (cannot remember exactly) he wiped off the
cream (and I think played the cylinder) and remarkably the growth was
gone...of course the pitting caused by the growth was still there!  I
have not tried it myself.

DS

>>> colin.schlachta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx 3/24/2004 11:26:14 AM >>>
Hello,

I am in the process of transferring audio from wax cylinder to audio
CD, and
every now and then I come across series of cylinders in our collection
with
a kind of growth on the surface.  It fills up the grooves and distorts
the
recordings.  Some of the cylinders are so badly infected that they
cannot be
played at all.  It appears to be a like a kind of fungus, but I am not
sure.
Has anyone come across this problem and come up with a non-destructive
cleaning process?

Colin Schlachta
Assistant Audiovisual Archives Technician
Library, Archives and Documentation Services
100 Laurier Street
Gatineau, Quebec
(819) 776-8466
FAX (819) 776-7055