[ARSCLIST] Wax Cylinder Damage

Hello,

I am in the process of transferring audio from wax cylinder to audio CD, and
every now and then I come across series of cylinders in our collection with
a kind of growth on the surface.  It fills up the grooves and distorts the
recordings.  Some of the cylinders are so badly infected that they cannot be
played at all.  It appears to be a like a kind of fungus, but I am not sure.
Has anyone come across this problem and come up with a non-destructive
cleaning process?

Colin Schlachta
Assistant Audiovisual Archives Technician
Library, Archives and Documentation Services
100 Laurier Street
Gatineau, Quebec
(819) 776-8466
FAX (819) 776-7055